Rafe uses some ideas that I already use (such as the ones he uses for social studies) - I plan on expanding that idea with my "Time Travel Journal" and by creating a "mini-museum" in class with artifacts or replicas of artifacts from the appropriate time period. Anyone with anything they would like to donate (or loan to me) that would follow along the lines would be appreciated.
Rafe also says that "Young people who read for pleasure are able to make connections with the world around them and eventually grow to understand themselves on levels they never thought possible." Page 42. I agree and feel that this fits in to the reading model where we do the self selected reading. They are able to decide on books themselves and have a set time in the day where they can enjoy their own books. I believe it is also important, like Rafe said in the "at the Library" section, we need to guide children to good books. Help them find things that they will enjoy. Don't just take them to the library and continue with our other duties as teachers, but really find what interests them and guide them to books that will fit the interests and the reading level of each individual child.
I loved the section on the six level that Rafe teaches in his class. It opened my eyes to what kind of students I have in my classroom. I want to incorporate these levels into my class because I think it can have an impact on them as a student, but will also help them as they leave school and enter the working world. It also made me think about what level I am at and always striving to be a level six teacher for my students.
I also was intrigued by Rafe's ideas on the six levels and will be evaualting my classroom as well to see how I can encourage more growth toward level six. Rafe also offers some wonderful resources for all subject areas and many ways to incorporate cross-curricular learning activities. G. Guill
Our students seem to struggle with being independent thinkers. The "Bible" idea on page 147 is an excellent tool to increase our students' ability to become better problem solvers. "Pencils don't solve problems, people do."
I am enjoying the book. I think it is neat that he has a chapter in the book that talks about each specific discipline area. I also like the chapter on standardized tests. I like the way he challenged the kids to come up with why the incorrect answers were choices. This book challenges me to go the extra mile for my students and also set high expectations for them.
I’m old. I didn’t start teaching until I was 45. When I was in school recess was my favorite subject so I suppose it’s not surprising that one of the first things I noticed was the difference in how the children played. I began teaching 5th grade in 1993. I personally was in the fifth grade in 1957. At recess we (speaking as a male) grabbed our ball gloves, softballs, and bats and went out to play softball or knock-up and catch out. Those were the two favorites. The field was out of sight, behind the gym. Most days the teacher never even came outside. I won’t say that there was never a problem, but for the most part, if a dispute erupted it was settled and play resumed quickly. Who wants to waste recess? Most of the boys carried a pocket knife. I never saw one pulled in anger. We organized our own games, lined up and played, and mostly got back to class on time without any “teacher interference”. I was shocked, when I started teaching in “93”. Students weren’t allowed to play softball. The school didn’t have equipment, the students weren’t allowed to bring equipment. Students might get hurt throwing a “hard” ball to each other. Really??? If you let them have a bat they will hit each other. Really??? And on top of that, it would all be my fault!!!! Yes, really. I found that academically a grade of “C” wasn’t average anymore. An “A” was average. And every student in my class had better get one or it would be my fault that they couldn’t get into college. I found that students weren’t “really expected” to sit in rows and not talk when the teacher was teaching. Once or twice, when I insisted on it, I was told by a fifth grade student that their parents would sue me. I once took up a deck of cards from two students, who were playing cards, while I was teaching Reading. Later one of their parents asked me if I had made it clear to the boys that they weren’t allowed to play cards at that time. It was my fault. I didn’t have that included in my list of class rules!!!!! On page 172 Rafe relates an incident where the Host, at The Hard Rock Café, says to him, “Well, we get a lot of schools here. The teachers go into the bar for a drink while the kids run around the restaurant.” Really????? Well, OK, I admit it. That was me, but I swear I didn’t leave a child behind. Its comments or related incidents like the one on page 172 that have made reading this book hard for me. Maybe I focused on the wrong thing; maybe I’ve had a sheltered teaching career. I’m not saying that there might not be a teacher who would act this irresponsibly, but he makes it seem as if the whole teaching profession is made up of non-caring, just puttin’ my time in, dunces. Only “Rafe” and a few of his friends are really trying to educate students. Once I get by what I see as his “negative view of teacher” I can agree with the goals he advocates. I’m not sure that I can apply or “make work” everything he seems to do so easily. I don’t know how there is enough time or in my case energy. I’m willing to listen and learn. I always go back to school with enthusiasm and things I am going to do differently and better,,,,, then reality sets in. (Mental picture of a teacher riding a bull at the school rodeo and praying for fall break.) I look forward to the discussion and the new school year. New ideas welcome. I think Rafe would have a more positive view of teachers if he knew the teachers at Heritage. Please excuse my poor grammar. I’m “only” the Visual Arts teacher. D. Head
I’m trying to understand how he inspires such trust and discipline. One thing he talks about is being sure to answer all questions no matter how many times he has been asked before. No matter how tired or whatever. I probably have work to do here. After I have explained it, discussed it, and demonstrated I am probably not as patient as I might be. I think I will always get upset when it is just a case of not listening. Hopefully when a student just doesn’t understand I will work with them until they do. He talks about being a role model. I know that I need to be the adult in the room and not take it personally. Once you have lost a student's trust or respect it's hard to win it back. D. Head
Students will start telling me about things that have happened in another classroom with other teachers. My response is usually, "Why would you do that, you wouldn't do that is here?" They say no because you'd kill us. They are obviously not at level VI. I was told once by an administrator that we can not change students, we must change ourselves. I am glad to see that Rafe does not endorse that line of thinking. I will continue to try to move students to higher levels of moral development. Demonstrating the higher levels seems to be the way to go. Area: promoting positive culture
Totally separate vein of discussion: I loved the whole "Add It Up" Chapter" (imagine that). Marcy Cook tiles may definitely be in my future. Usually my students listening skills are atrocious! "While they listen to the problem, they quietly put away their grammar work and bring out their number tiles" p67. I will definitely be starting something similar to this to help kids practice doing and listening at the same time, something they claim they are unable to do. Areas: instructional strategies
Level I – I don’t want to get into trouble level. Level II – Wanting or expecting a prize for completing a task. Level III - Doing the work just to please the teacher. Level IV - Rule followers. Level V - Considerate of others. Level VI – Self Motivated. (I love having Level VI art students) I think there must be a Level 0 – Don’t care if they get in trouble and don’t care about the work. Level 0 kids are hard to reach. I hate to admit it but they are hard to care about sometimes. It is a challenge. I think that I am going to work harder at building good relationship with my students. D. Head
The six levels are very interesting, as many have pointed out. I find that most of my students are on levels 1-3, and that has worked for me so far. Sometimes I get a class that can work on level 4, and there are always a few students that are on level 5, but I definately think level 6 has eluded many of our students. As a matter of fact, most adults are not on level 6. I am still working on exactly how to teach that. Of course, as Rafe says, it almost can't be taught, but I love how he uses characters in literature as examples. What motivates a character can resonate personally with a student (even if that character is on level 1), and it is a good way to help them move to the next level.
Responding to Mrs. Barnett regarding "higher level of moral development": I find that we, as adults, sometimes fall into that old immaturity level that we had as children. We just returned from the Jostens National Renaissance Conference and had a wonderful speaker, Mark Scharenbroich at one of our sessions. He spoke about how we look at what others have and spend so much time being jealous of what they have that we lose sight of what we should be doing ourselves. He compared it to when he was a child and said one of his classmates had more crayons than he did, even though his crayons were new and he had eight "brilliant colors." He advised us that we should "stop counting crayons and just draw pictures" because it's not what you have but what you do with what you have. We are so blessed at Heritage to have wonderful facilities in which to work and we don't need to worry about what other people in the building have or don't have. We must teach our children these same values because we have all heard them say, "But what about so-and-so" - it has to be about a higher self-motivating force to help them achieve and serve as an example to their peers.
My comment was addressing "Promoting a Positive Culture/Environment." We must promote this positive culture for our students because it's contagious and if we're positive, our students will pick up on that. We must show them we care about them and promote what we value. If we concentrate on say, preserving the wonderful appearance of our building, our students will and have picked up the idea that our building is more important than the reason it was built: as a place to educate and produce good citizens.
Items and phrases I noticed/liked within the book. I enjoyed it much more and found it more helpful than the mountain of textbooks I have been poring through for my licensure courses.
No fear in his classroom Replace fear with trust Lead by example Punishment must be fair Come through on promises
Level 1 don’t get in trouble Level 2 I want a reward Level 3 I want to please somebody Level 4 i follow the rules Level 5 I am considerate of other people Level 6 I have a personal code of conduct (atticus finch or Red from Shawshank Redemption)
Reading is for enjoyment
The timeline for his writing classes from 1982 – 2004 is ridiculous and revealing.
Young authors project: write a book over the course of a year.
Collaborative learning : math and social studies: “start witht he number of states in the USA . add a dozen. Subtract the number of supreme court justices. Add number of weeks in a fortnight. Divide by 11. “
Marcycookmath.com
Test taking skills. Creating multiple choice tests with students so they can see how the wrong answers are created.
Watches movies after school – awesome.
Audio clips of speeches
Best line: page 174 “I don’t want my students to be mediocre.”
After reading Rafe's chapter on social studies "What a Wonderful World" I am reminded of how easy and simple it is to make our content meaningful and interesting to our students. I especially enjoyed seeing his history project that connects the Preamble with license plates. By allowing the students to create their own license plate words, Rafe fostered creativity and critical thinking. This book has given me, a beginning teacher, many proven ideas that will be of great help.
In response to Mr. Head's comment about level 0 students. I agree that I want to make more of an effort to do better reaching this group of kids. I think we can really make a positive impact in the lives of these kids.
After reading Rafe's piece on "keeping statistic" in chapter nine, it reminds me that there are many opportunities to bring in outside subject matters into your class. By doing this you can enforce concepts learned in other classes which will not only help that student achieve more in your class but others as well . It also helps keep your class interesting and fun for the students which will help create a classroom culture every teacher desires to have. Rowland
Okay, I love David's comments about "Level 0." And Patricia has given comment -- we really do need to do more to reach these kids (I wish Rafe's "trust" concept worked with everyone). Now comes the crucial question that we all sometimes like to dance around: How?
I was inspired and also nostalgic after reading "The Extra Mile" in chapter 7. Nostalgic because I was reminded of my 8th grade SS teacher (who I secretly called John Wayne for his stature) took us on a daily journey with our study of the War Between the States. He was an amazing storyteller, but I can only imagine how the lessons could have been enriched given the resources we have today. Inspired because of Rafe's suggestions on fusing these resources to "make history come alive" such as period music, documentaries, biography series and speeches. --Dinah Maupin
In response to many comments made by others, I also found the section on the six levels of moral development to be very intriguing. My goal is to focus on students as individuals and work hard to promote level six behavior within my classroom.
In the social studies section, Rafe’s “Roam Around the World” activity on pages 86-89 provides new ideas, strategies, and technology resources I can incorporate into my lesson plans.
Every one else has said so many great things that I agree with. I will admit, last year teaching kindergarten, I caught myself not being as patient as I should be. Rafe has inspired me to try harder and make sure that I answer every student no matter how many times I have to explain something.
As for the "level 0" issue, I think we can help students evolve. If we really work at it I believe that they will progress to another level. I also think that if we get parents involved it will help these level 0 students. These students probably will not make it to level 6 in one year, but if they continue being guided to level 6 throughout their middle school and high school career they may eventually develop into a level 6. I feel if we want to achieve this we will have to buy into it as a whole school and continue addressing it yearly. Sorry I am all over the place, but there are so many good things Rafe says. I also think it is great he realizes that we are all human. Many of his strategies are great, but they do not happen overnight. We must continue practicing and supporting one another. I will strive this year to help my students reach a level where they are internally motivated to continue seeking knowledge!
I'm a brand new school counselor, and I don't have much experience in the classroom. But I really like how Rafe starts out the school year. On pages 6 and 7 Rafe explains how he sets up the classroom environment at the beginning of the year; Rafe starts out school by building "Trust" with the students. I would like to try this with the classes I will be teaching. Also, he explains trust really well by using the trust fall analogy. If you do the trust fall with a friend 1000 times and the next time they let you fall, you will never allow them to catch you again. All trust is lost. Building trust with the students is like this. If I the teacher fail the students and do not practice what I preach or walk the walk and talk the talk, then I lose whatever trust I have established with the students. It will take a great deal of time and work to regain that trust.
In response to many who have discussed the trust issue, Rafe talks about it on page 6 & 7. Our kids are in high school (middle school kids might be a little different). It is not as easy or quick with older kids, and would be even harder with adults. Discussing trust the first day is something I have never done and plan to incorporate. Usually by the 2nd week of school they learn not to lie to me but usually because I have reamed someone for it. Hopefully if we let them know what we expect and do our best all the time to be consistent students will learn they can trust us. Not everyone mind you. Even though he talks very little about it in the book, there are kids he does not reach. Nothing works perfectly every time with everyone. Be consistent, be trustworthy, set an example, be a role-model. "That's the beauty of the job: You can learn from your mistakes. You can get better. In the process you may even stumble upon precious moments that can allow your students to soar higher than they ever thought possible." pg 11 Muriel Barnett
In his book he makes several points about test scores he also does a great job about mastery of a subject with the type of games his students play.what I don't like is the way he slams everybody
Motivating Students (Pg 36) - Rafe says that children need to be taken to the library to explore books. He makes the point that children need to be taken to “places where intelligence, enthusiasm, and a joy of reading are standard operating procedure” to “combat the indifference [about reading] that surrounds our children.” Later generations are increasingly detached from hard copies of, among other things, books. It is undoubtedly advantageous for young people to have the world at their fingertips (i.e. computers with internet), but this paradoxically detaches them from the real world. The library can put students in a social situation that goes beyond lunch-time and Facebook. A situation in which the goals are to find a good book, then a quiet spot, and read. A large part of the intrigue of reading is the relationship between the reader and the book. Furthermore, the process of searching for the right book for any given situation (e.g. research paper, pleasure) will best occur in an environment with minimal distractions. A library can afford kids the opportunity to compare books my picking them up and skimming them for pertinent and interesting information. This allows them to choose THE RIGHT BOOK. Nooks and Kindles are certainly remarkable tools to attract increasingly technology-reliant generations to reading, but being lost is a little bit of romance that comes from holding the work. Teachers need to take their students to their school library and parents need to take their children to public libraries before these institutions fall victim to technology the way newspapers, music stores, and video stores have.
Classroom Management: In chapter one Rafe discusses classroom management and how teachers run their classroom based on fear. He writes,"The teacher is afraid: afraid of looking bad, of not being liked, of not being listened to, of losing control. The students are even more afraid: afraid of being scolded and humiliated, of looking foolish in front of their peers, of getting bad grades, of facing their parents' wrath." What are your opinions on this? Can we run an effective classroom without fear? I agree with him that kids need a safe haven and a shelter from the storm, but can we accomplish what we need to with a complete absence of fear?
Commenting on the level zero student mentioned by several others, I have found that students will always live up to the expectations that they know I have for them. Though it is often difficult to have and maintain high expectations for those students that seem not to care, I have seen many students respond in my classroom in ways that they won't in others because they know that I truly expect them to behave appropriately, learn the material, and work hard. At times I have to manufacture the expectation (and the energy to convey it) at first, but I have found that the more I assert it, the more I believe it - and my students usually respond accordingly.
The part of the book that has most challenged me to change my teaching methods is the test-taking skills section on pages 80-82. I have always had my students correct their tests, but I would never have thought to have them construct their own multiple choice test to point out misconceptions. With the ACT constantly looming in the minds of my juniors and seniors, this is a great way to prepare them for both it and the EOC course that many of my students will be facing. I look forward to seeing how it plays out in my classroom.
I agree with Muriel's post that we cannot change our students unless we first change ourselves. As a teacher it is easy to use level 1 and 2. We were all raised with fear and reward. As teacher's do we always follow the rules because they are right? Are we always considerate of other people? I know I would like to think I have a personal code of behavior but I stray from it at times. Are we good role models for our students?
p. 32 I like his comment that he has never seen district reading objectives in which the words joy, passion, or excitement top the list. I don't believe any of us have ever seen those objectives in any discipline.
I also agree with Patricia and Martin in Test taking skills/study skills. How to study/creating the conditions of the test, and understanding multiple choice answers ( why the wrong answers are there).
p. 73 " The testing obsession that has swept our nation's schools is detrimental to helping children reach their potential as students and human beings" AMEN!
I agree with Breanne's comment about challenging students. I think this is one way we can begin to move students from one level to another (even students in level zero). On page 95 Rafe says that his students are not geniuses, they are ordinary and they become extraordinary by "working hard and by being exposed to activities that go beyond the norm." We have to constantly raise the bar higher as we expect more and more from our students. He also said he sees himself as an ordinary teacher. While I certainly do not see anything ordinary about him or his students, it does help me believe I can accompish at least part of what he has been able to do.
Another area where he challenges his students deals with attitudes. On page 131 he says one of his primary goals is to teach his students to be kind in a world that is anything but kind. I think helping our students develop a more positive attitude will help them in many different areas of their life. Patsi Gregory
Carrie – Fear : In college we all took courses rampant with idealistic messages about how fear is the enemy in any classroom environment. Conversely, when I began student teaching and started meeting current teachers, not tenured professors who have been removed from the classroom for a decade or more, I noticed a recurring theme in their advice: be mean! Also, I was encouraged to implement preemptive admonition by wearing dark colors, not smiling for a month, and making an example of the first offender. I agree with Rafe in his belief that fear should not be the primary motivator for student achievement, but do think that students need to know the teacher has full authority and therefore the potential to “be mean.”
I love that he has his students performing a full-length Shakespeare play every year. That is not an easy feat. Our drama club wanted to work on one this past year, and now I'm motivated to re-visit that idea for this year. Also, there is also a documentary out there about the Hobart Shakespeareans I'd love to see.
In reply to some of the comments about Level 0 students, I'd like to point out that even the author admits that he doesn't reach all the students. He states that only the most responsible go on his trips and only those willing to put in the effort outside of school hours perform in the play. They don't all make it.
I love his six level philosophy and level six is something that all teachers need to strive for. The fact that he admits that not all students make it to where he wants them just adds to his credibility.
What I didn't like about the book is Appendix D. After reading a great book about a great teacher, it was a bit deflating to realize that as a wife and mother, I'm not going to be able to put in the time he does to get the results he's getting.
I have always been a firm believer that you should allow students time in class to begin their homework.Even as a teacher, my own kids bring homework home and I have to actually read their book or their notes to just help them on it. Many parents do not take the time to do this. Therefore, we have many students who are punished for not having their homework when they come to class the next day. On page 49 in our book, Rafe allows his students approximately 20 minutes to begin working on their homework. This is important to me because it allows us as teachers to see how the students are doing. We can then take that opportunity to work one on one with those who are struggling. The students who are grasping the concept well can be working quietly on their work and if they get it all completed then they will not have homework that night. For those students who just want to take their sweet time and mess around then they are hurting themselves because they will be taking it home. The majority of the students will begin to understand the concept and use their time wisely to work on their homework during the time that was allowed. I have seen so many students come to class with their homework either not completed or not done thoroughly. There are many reasons for this but its my guess that they rushed through it, didn't have the support at home to complete it, or they just did not understand how to do it. Therefore, I believe allowing students some time in class to work on it is essential!
Mr. Roberts- I completely agree with you. We do need to do more to reach our students. Many of these kids do not have even have one adult they can turn to. They need adults that they can trust. They need to be able to feel comfortable and safe when they come into our classrooms. By making that connection with our students, we can help our students become well respected young adults.
Rafe talked about trust at the very beginning of the book. I found that as a first year teacher that trust was hard to get from my students. However, when they realized that I did what I said I would do, the trust started to build. Rafe also talked about several math strategies that I plan to use. One is using the individual white boards to check for understanding. This is an assessment that gives automatic feedback for every student.
Mrs. Hendley- I definitely think that allowing students time in class to begin homework is essential. It also allows for peer tutoring which is sometimes more effective than one-on-one time or small group time with a teacher. For those students that have extra-curricular activities, this time is invaluable.
Carrie, Brandon -- I feel that we can tie the trust/respect issue along with the issue of needing to use fear in the classroom together. I feel that once we gain their respect and trust, our classroom environment will be at the level where fear is no longer needed.
Daphne- I agree more now than ever about Appendix D. It is very disheartening to see that he spends 12 hours daily at school to get the results he is getting. With a family of my own, I don't think 12 hours will be possible. So how do we get these results without the resources (time, money, rewards, etc) that Rafe has for his 5th grade class? Diana Buck
In response to Daphne and Diana: I was thinking the exact same thing while reading this book. I would like to speak with his wife and children just to see what their thoughts and feelings are about Rafe being away so much. I remember that he mentioned a step daughter, but I don't remember other children being mentioned. I want the very best for my students and I want to be there as much as I can and do whatever I can to help them and teach them. I also want to do those things for my son too. It would have been helpful to read a chapter on how he was able to do both effectively. Carrie Cayce
I began the book with excitement because Rafe was saying all of the things that I've been afraid to all these years. I do believe that there is a lot more to education than just test scores. If your kids score well but hate reading, you failed. If your kids scored well but think robbing a store for something they want is ok, then you failed. His "six levels" seem brilliant when reading it, but most of us strive for level six every day. However, they are not measured by a test so no one can see all the "data". In turn, teaching kids to be successful (not rich) adults is not important to most politicians, parents, and even administrators. I was on fire and right there with him until the tone of the book began to change. While he throws in off handed comments about his "nontalents", he truly doesn't believe it. I feel that his lack of humility permeates throughout the book. It put me off a little. Most teachers DO care about their students. Why would you become a teacher if you did not want to see kids succeed? The pay is low for a professional, the stress can be incredible, and the opportunities for advancement are fairly nonexistent. A teacher must love the challenge of helping kids find success. Finally, Rafe makes it very clear that "you must be the person you want your kids to be." It is a profound thought. However, Rafe spends very little time with his own family. He even says he spends time at school when he could be spending quality time(tennis with his wife) with his family. That is NOT the person I want to be, and it is not the kind of person I want my students to be. Family time is the most important thing in the world. If everyone else's children love you, but your own don't, then you have failed. I still have a little more to read. Chris Logsdon
I must say that Rafe is the most dedicated teacher I have ever heard of. He calls his classroom home, has thanksgiving dinner for his students, take students on planes to go on trips, and stays after school all the time!!! That is what I call pure dedication! I feel that his students feed off his dedication because even some of the students would arrive early to school and wanted to stay after school. I just remember when I use to be in school and if I didn't have ball practice of some sort, I was so ready to get out and go home. No teacher of mine, especially in middle school even tried to build relationships with their students and Rafe seems to have relationships with ALL of his students and that is absolutely incredible. I loved his method on homework and how his assignments are not due the next day, but due at the end of the week or even the end of the month. I feel that might help students with time management and relieve pressure of getting all their homework done the next day when they might have homework in every subject. Although, some will procrastinate and still wait the last second to do their homework. Rafe also seems to be repetitive in his subjects and to be good at something, you have to constantly practice at it. When he does his geography lesson, after they have actually learned the countries and how to spell them correctly, he is constantly playing games such as Table Points (pg.87) I feel this helps students retain information better by being repetitive and constantly going back, instead of just memorizing something for just a week and moving on. With the science, his stepdaughter gave him wonderful advice. I always learned science just by reading and answering the questions at the end of the chapter in school. When I took my physics class in college, the students actually did all the experimenting and figuring out why without reading, but actually doing it ourselves without the teacher telling us every little thing. I learned so much in that class, because I did everything myself, so I agree with Rafe’s stepdaughter on pg.97. "...kids had to put down their books and pick up their equipment. They had to observe, experiment, record, and analyze. Above all, they had to fail and learn from their failures." Rafe also made the comment, "I did the best teaching during those two months when I decided to shut up and leave the kids alone." (pg.103) No doubt, students need guidance, but science should be hands on and hopefully I can fulfill that in my science class. -Caroline Fitzgerald
I want to thank Mr. Owens for his ideas about how to reach students... As I read this book, I wondered how does Rafe build this trust? I know he told us what he does, but there's still so much to know (at least for me as a beginning teacher). Mr. Owens' suggestions plus Rafe's advice will help I think!
"1. Make a Connection: Find something they are interested in and use it as a topic for discussion.
2. Develop a relationship: Show that you are interested in them.
3. Make them feel important: Give them responsibilities/jobs in class.
It takes time, effort, and persistence, but you may reach one."
I have been on an agricultural tour of the Midwest for the past week. Many of the agricultural stops began with a brief history of the place leading up to the present and why the company/venture is important to agriculture today. Even though I feel like I am knowledgeable of agriculture history, I was surprised to learn many things during these visits. Chapter seven begins with a description of the lack of knowledge of history on most students' part. I find that this lack of knowledge is true when it comes to the history and importance of agriculture. This trip refreshed my memory on some things and enlightened me on other sunjects. In Chapter seven, the author details many projects he uses to highlight historical events. Almost every agricultural class includes a standard that highlights the importance of and history of agriculture in the United States. I plan to use the pictures, brochures, and historical documentation to prepare a lesson to meet this standard. I hope the students will remember the pictures and examples that I am able to provide through first hand experiences this summer.
Your comment on page 32 caught my attention. I taught a class called Career Management Success. One of the things that I was supposed to accomplish in this class was to "teach reading for pleasure" to my students. The suggested way to do this - Assign them a book report on a book of their choosing. To me this defeated the purpose. Teaching a student to do something for pleasure cannot be accomplished by force. When giving speeches or discussing current events in class, I try to allow the students as much freedom as possible to choose topics that they enjoy while still relating to the class subject. Although this does not always bring joy, excitement, or passion from every student, I am often surprised by the ones that do exhibit these feelings all because they have found something to talk about that they like.
Rafe uses alot of manipulatives. He is just as engaged in the lesson/activities as the children. As a teacher, you have to be in the class participating with the activities with the students. This lets you as a teacher see through the eyes of the student and this can help you with learning strategies. It also lets the students see how excited you are about the lesson. Like Rafe says...its ok to be a Lab Rat! Jill Hobdy
Shauna, I enjoyed learing about the different math strategies. I like the activity Rafe uses when he getting students ready for assessments. He gives them a question and has them come up the the 4 choices. Of course one is the right one, but he lets the students come up with different answer that a student might choose and why. This strategy not only teaches students to carefully read through all answer choices but it also lets them use different skills in coming up with the answers.
In re-reading through portions of the book, I was struck by Rafe's comment on page 68 that "there are so many numbers we want our kids to know". I'm making a list of numbers to incorporate into my class routine. I'd like to have significant numbers that represent a variety of disciplines and subjects. I'd appreciate any input you can give me.
For example: 435 = number of seats in the House of Representatives 5,280 = number of feet in a mile 95 = number of counties in Tennessee
Ideas for more? I need about 90 for the activity I'm working on. Thanks!
Like Muriel, I also like the number tiles idea (67). Instead of tiles, my class uses Uno cards (a good way old decks that you no longer play with). This year, I'll be putting mine in student packets so everyone has his own to use when needed.
Jill- You make a great point by saying that Rafe is just as involved in the manipulatives as the students are. The days of telling the kids what you know and expecting them to then know it are gone. The kids need to see the teacher learning too. Try giving the kids some problem solving questions without knowing the answers yourself. It's frightening at first, but you get a good idea of what each student is going through. Also, the students don't see you as someone who knows everything. I found one of his last sections to be the most interesting.On page 225, the author says,"For every child who is ready and willing to make the effort, far more have given up because of the same forces that make us want to surrender." As teachers, it is so much easier to see our "failures". It's easy to see the students we didn't change or affect as much as was needed. They seem to put their behaviors on stage. The ones we should focus on are the ones who don't need the stage. I'm not saying we should point them out, but privately in our minds, we should be picturing them when we wonder if we affected anyone during the day.
I think allowing the students to choose a topic they're interested is great. It makes school more fun and interesting. It motivates them to want to learn and read because it's something they enjoy. It also helps them take ownership in their work.
In response to Muriel's post: I loved the whole "Add It Up" Chapter" (imagine that). Marcy Cook tiles may definitely be in my future. Usually my students listening skills are atrocious! I will definitely be starting something similar to this to help kids practice doing and listening at the same time, something they claim they are unable to do.
I totally agree with her that most middle schoolers have issue with multitasking. We also complain that students don't know their basic math facts. I think using the tiles 10-15 min. a couple of times a week will improve their mental math, which helps with high math skills and problem solving.
One thing I already do some, but plan on doing more of, is Rafe's "Test Taking Skills" p. 80-83. Students need to realize the "incorrect" answers in a multiple choice test aren't there by accident, but by design of common student mistakes. I also like his idea of not just giving an answer, but having students explain why it is the correct answer and why other choices are NOT the answer. Especially since we've been told open-response assessments are coming (where students are judged by their reasoning/problem solving); this will give our students confidence to succeed at these assessments to demonstrate their understanding.
--Crystal Wix Areas: Checks for understanding; Challenging Students
I believe that Rafe is successful at his job because he is passionate about the work he does. He works 24-7 for his students. He is also successful because of the relationships that he builds with his students. He works to find the one thing that will allow that relationship to grow. He is totally into the work that he does because he is there for the students and not so much the paycheck.
Once you have built the relationship with your students, then teaching them comes easy. He has figured this out and has used it to his advantage.
I really enjoyed reading this book. It has such great ideas and really got me thinking about the kind of atmosphere I want in my classroom. One thing about the book that I thought of was the fact that I want to change the title to "DON"T Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire." My reasoning behind this is when Rafe's hair caught on fire, although his intentions were good, he was focused on one thing in the classroom. What I got out of the book is that we need to focus on the big picture. Don't be so focused on your subject matter or tests to really acknowledge the learning that might extend to five other subjects. We need to look at the students themselves as well as the curriculum. Also, I loved the idea of making the classroom a home. Making the class a place where the students want to go and feel safe there to be excited about learning. This is a goal that I have. I know now(from reading this book) that this goal is an ongoing process that will take me years to accomplish. That positive classroom is worth it though.
In response to Crystal Wix's (and a few others previously) I also loved the idea of having the students look at all the answer choices, not just the correct one. It gets the students to actually THINK. It also makes them aware of common mistakes that can arise and helps them to avoid them in the future. I think to have the students comment on the wrong answers will take some time. The students who might share how the wrong answer was achieved probably got the problem wrong first and may be embarrassed to say anything. This is where the positive classroom comes in handy also. Make sure the students feel like they can share their opinions without feeling bad.
I thought it was interesting that in the music chapter he talks about teaching his instrumental players to actually learn to read and play music correctly but he just gives a cd to his singers and has them learn it rote. As thorough as he is in everything else, it is surprising that he takes such a shortcut in that area.
I really like the idea of the points table on pg 87 & 88. this is a great idea to use for reviewing for tests. this gets the students working collaborativly and pulling for each other.
Best Quote I have read in a long time "And yet we have created a different world in room 56. Its a world where character matters, hard work is respected, humility is valued, and support for one another is unconditional."
Another Good One "There are so many charlatans in the world of education. They teach for a couple of years, come up with a few clever slogans, build their websites, and hit the lecture circuit." AMEN!!!!
Rafe describes that we should replace fear with trust.
I have a personal code of conduct of Behavior and I follow it (the Atticus Finch Level) is powerful when he describes the young girl who helped the child who got beaten on the way home by a bully.
Coach Daniel would like to know if his students can perform with electric guitars and drums during the class time? Would that be considered "Bell to Bell"?
Coach Daniel would also like to know if his class can take a 3 day trip to Washington D.C.?
One thing I did notice is that A LOT of his class seemed to be Asian descent. In my opinion, this would give an unfair advantage to Rafe when it comes to classroom management. I am not trying to diminish his achievements, but the Asian culture usually demands respect for elders and authority. He does not have to face the same challenges as a traditional inner city school.
--Many of the Amazon reviewers were right on target. Rafe is a highly motivated, structured teacher who knows what works for him and his clientele. He has touched the lives of many young people and inspired them to become citizens of the world, critical thinkers, with a thirst for knowledge. What more can we ask of a teacher? His version of the six levels of motivation is excellent and thought provoking and to have a student act at level six is the ultimate goal, of course. His methodologies are sound and some are worth considering in other classrooms, particularly in elementary school.
Amen to his ideas on standardized testing. Politicians want results, I understand. Standardized tests are the easy way out. They reduce a kid’s performance/knowledge to a number. Scan the numbers, retain or fire the teacher. Simple. Who cares if he gave a rat’s hiney about his students and they learned something other than what was being tested? From Harry Potter 5, “It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which after all, is what school is all about.” – Dolores Umbridge
Really, learning should be an individual journey. It’s ok if Johnny wants to talk about ethanol. Is it ethical to produce ethanol? He won’t see it on the standardized science exam, but it is a worthy, controversial topic, for sure. Here’s an idea: have professional evaluators (and/or parents) interview the class before it lets out, individually and collectively. Ask them, what have you learned? What books did you read? What characters did you most admire? How have you used the scientific method in your everyday life? What behaviors have you modified?, How could YOU improve your classroom experience?, etc. Make it like a job interview. By using and teaching to standardized tests, we’re creating cookie-cutter kids.
Shawshank Redemption in fifth grade? Witness? Really? Not in most school districts in America. This guy would be sent packing, nevermind how inspirational he is. Obviously, he has been given room to operate. He takes risks. He advises his students to take risks. Probably one of the best ways to truly teach and learn, but it can be a dangerous game. He says his kids know words to plays and songs and what they mean. I’d be interested to hear the 5th grade interpretation of Start Me Up.
A really powerful idea is that you can teach students that by committing a certain action or adopting a certain behavior, they are achieving ALL LEVELS at once, or at least more than one. For instance, picking up a piece of trash: In a small way you are rewarding yourself (you are getting aerobic exercise), you are making others happy (man, this place looks great!), and you may be acting on your code of ethics (I will have a beautiful community where pride resides).
I don’t think there’s one way to skin this cat. This idea that there is ONE WAY to do things is not fair to students. It’s ok for teachers to have different styles. Some are ultra-organized, some have much gravitas and can get away with less organization. Some rule with an iron fist (I’m looking at you, Muriel), but I think the kids need it. Who’s to say which is best? Kids should to see all of these personalities. Heaven knows they will see the gamut in their working lives. I heard a senior say at graduation, “Mr. Roberts’s class was hell. I can’t believe I survived.” But there was pride in his voice. He was a stronger, better human being for it, and he knew it.
Another way to think of the six levels is to view them as a I WANT IT NOW!, short-term, long-term continuum. Ultimately, we are trying to instill in our students a long term view--one that governs their everyday decisions and leaves the world a better place.
He deserves high praise simply for teaching his kids fiscal responsibility. I love that the currency actually takes on value, and students learn to use it wisely. It is one of the greatest gifts we can give kids, especially in this time of financial uncertainty. I heard one economist describe our current financial situation thusly: It’s like sitting down to a fine meal with your children and grandchildren, ordering all courses and then, just before the check arrives, you get up and leave. No wonder this generation is restless. Some of them have figured out that we’re saddling them with a massive bill—one they probably will never be able to pay. It’s like, “fund wars, not education.”
If he wants to make a truly significant change, I’d say go to Wall Street and Washington and teach them about level six. Maybe then they’d realize that our greatest resource is sitting in the classroom, in desperate need of a book, a computer, space to breath, or even a meal.
Rafe definitely has passion for this job. How do I cultivate (or is it innate?) that kind of passion? That’s what I really want to know. What motivates him? Maybe I missed the whole point. Is it really a code of ethics that guides him every moment?
-I DON’T want this guy evaluating me, especially if my tenure is dependent on his opinion. Does he sleep? Maybe he should reintroduce himself to his own family. I agree with David—if he knew the teachers at Heritage, he would rethink his low opinion of members of his profession… I also agree with Coach Petrone. Must he slam others to make himself look good? What happened to walking in someone else’s shoes?
He spends too much time at school and not enough time with his family. Does his wife really appreciate his absence? My wife would divorce me. Like others have stated, I’m a parent to my own children FIRST and a teacher second. That will never change. Even so, most of us know how poignant it is to have a former student say you were more of a dad or mom to him/her than a biological parent was. He basically “adopts” his students, which is admirable, but don’t be fooled, there are personal costs.
--Other Amazon reviewers were right. He and his publisher appear to be shooting for inner-city cred, but when you realize his students are motivated immigrants (or children of immigrants) who still believe in the system with not a crack/meth baby seemingly in the mix, his soapbox aura doesn’t wash so well. Many students who are products of generational poverty are past despondent, they feel completely hopeless. Those are the kids that are truly tough to reach. Tough to get them to believe… Everything in context… did he write the book to inspire his readers, or was he looking for a reward? Maybe he was motivated by MANY factors. Did he donate the proceeds to charity?
In all, a worthy read. Rafe certainly makes you realize how much potential a teacher has to change the lives of students. He makes me want to do better, to achieve more. He also makes it clear why teachers keep teaching. They are motivated by a code of ethics: the way to make the world a better place is to teach our young people how to become critical thinkers, problem solvers, good stewards, and to see a task to completion. Too many of our students fold when the path gets tough. I love the Calvin Coolidge statement, “Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
So, despite low pay, the current emasculation of teachers, absent parents, etc. we must press on. We are not motivated by money, as most other professionals are. We want the world to be a better place for our progeny.
I really believe the reading of the book, the blog and the meeting with the faculty made from some really good in-service time.
As I continue to reflect on the book and the time I have spent in other in-service this summer I continue to go back to Chapter 12, where Rafe spends sometime talking about helping our students learn to think and to make better decisions. I really believe that what he said about making sure that we have taught them to value thinking and decision making is very important. We must prepare them for the world outside of our walls both now and later. Employers often struggle with our youth and their ability to think for themselves and make decisions on their own. I have decided to really make this an important part of my instructions for the coming year. If we don't value this as teachers and administrators we teach them that thinking and decision making on their own is of no importance.
Nice picture.
ReplyDeleteRafe uses some ideas that I already use (such as the ones he uses for social studies) - I plan on expanding that idea with my "Time Travel Journal" and by creating a "mini-museum" in class with artifacts or replicas of artifacts from the appropriate time period. Anyone with anything they would like to donate (or loan to me) that would follow along the lines would be appreciated.
ReplyDeleteRafe also says that "Young people who read for pleasure are able to make connections with the world around them and eventually grow to understand themselves on levels they never thought possible." Page 42. I agree and feel that this fits in to the reading model where we do the self selected reading. They are able to decide on books themselves and have a set time in the day where they can enjoy their own books. I believe it is also important, like Rafe said in the "at the Library" section, we need to guide children to good books. Help them find things that they will enjoy. Don't just take them to the library and continue with our other duties as teachers, but really find what interests them and guide them to books that will fit the interests and the reading level of each individual child.
ReplyDeleteThe last post was from me, Diana Buck
ReplyDeleteI loved the section on the six level that Rafe teaches in his class. It opened my eyes to what kind of students I have in my classroom. I want to incorporate these levels into my class because I think it can have an impact on them as a student, but will also help them as they leave school and enter the working world. It also made me think about what level I am at and always striving to be a level six teacher for my students.
ReplyDeleteLucas Buck
I also was intrigued by Rafe's ideas on the six levels and will be evaualting my classroom as well to see how I can encourage more growth toward level six.
ReplyDeleteRafe also offers some wonderful resources for all subject areas and many ways to incorporate cross-curricular learning activities.
G. Guill
In order to post a comment, you need to "choose a profile."
ReplyDeleteYou can select "Google Account" if you have a Google account or "AIM" if you have an AOL account.
If you do not have either of these, you may use my GOOGLE account.
It is:
email- stephen.owens@rcstn.net
password- 6156720311
*Please make sure you put your name at the bottom of the post, so that we know who posted it.
Our students seem to struggle with being independent thinkers. The "Bible" idea on page 147 is an excellent tool to increase our students' ability to become better problem solvers. "Pencils don't solve problems, people do."
ReplyDeleteMrs. Holmes :)
I am enjoying the book. I think it is neat that he has a chapter in the book that talks about each specific discipline area. I also like the chapter on standardized tests. I like the way he challenged the kids to come up with why the incorrect answers were choices. This book challenges me to go the extra mile for my students and also set high expectations for them.
ReplyDeletePatricia York
I’m old. I didn’t start teaching until I was 45. When I was in school recess was my favorite subject so I suppose it’s not surprising that one of the first things I noticed was the difference in how the children played. I began teaching 5th grade in 1993. I personally was in the fifth grade in 1957. At recess we (speaking as a male) grabbed our ball gloves, softballs, and bats and went out to play softball or knock-up and catch out. Those were the two favorites. The field was out of sight, behind the gym. Most days the teacher never even came outside.
ReplyDeleteI won’t say that there was never a problem, but for the most part, if a dispute erupted it was settled and play resumed quickly. Who wants to waste recess? Most of the boys carried a pocket knife. I never saw one pulled in anger. We organized our own games, lined up and played, and mostly got back to class on time without any “teacher interference”.
I was shocked, when I started teaching in “93”. Students weren’t allowed to play softball. The school didn’t have equipment, the students weren’t allowed to bring equipment. Students might get hurt throwing a “hard” ball to each other. Really??? If you let them have a bat they will hit each other. Really??? And on top of that, it would all be my fault!!!! Yes, really.
I found that academically a grade of “C” wasn’t average anymore. An “A” was average. And every student in my class had better get one or it would be my fault that they couldn’t get into college. I found that students weren’t “really expected” to sit in rows and not talk when the teacher was teaching. Once or twice, when I insisted on it, I was told by a fifth grade student that their parents would sue me. I once took up a deck of cards from two students, who were playing cards, while I was teaching Reading. Later one of their parents asked me if I had made it clear to the boys that they weren’t allowed to play cards at that time. It was my fault. I didn’t have that included in my list of class rules!!!!!
On page 172 Rafe relates an incident where the Host, at The Hard Rock Café, says to him, “Well, we get a lot of schools here. The teachers go into the bar for a drink while the kids run around the restaurant.” Really????? Well, OK, I admit it. That was me, but I swear I didn’t leave a child behind.
Its comments or related incidents like the one on page 172 that have made reading this book hard for me. Maybe I focused on the wrong thing; maybe I’ve had a sheltered teaching career. I’m not saying that there might not be a teacher who would act this irresponsibly, but he makes it seem as if the whole teaching profession is made up of non-caring, just puttin’ my time in, dunces. Only “Rafe” and a few of his friends are really trying to educate students.
Once I get by what I see as his “negative view of teacher” I can agree with the goals he advocates. I’m not sure that I can apply or “make work” everything he seems to do so easily. I don’t know how there is enough time or in my case energy. I’m willing to listen and learn. I always go back to school with enthusiasm and things I am going to do differently and better,,,,, then reality sets in. (Mental picture of a teacher riding a bull at the school rodeo and praying for fall break.)
I look forward to the discussion and the new school year. New ideas welcome. I think Rafe would have a more positive view of teachers if he knew the teachers at Heritage.
Please excuse my poor grammar. I’m “only” the Visual Arts teacher.
D. Head
I finished the book and am trying to see if I can log in and comment.
ReplyDeleteMuriel Barnett
I’m trying to understand how he inspires such trust and discipline. One thing he talks about is being sure to answer all questions no matter how many times he has been asked before. No matter how tired or whatever. I probably have work to do here. After I have explained it, discussed it, and demonstrated I am probably not as patient as I might be.
ReplyDeleteI think I will always get upset when it is just a case of not listening. Hopefully when a student just doesn’t understand I will work with them until they do.
He talks about being a role model. I know that I need to be the adult in the room and not take it personally. Once you have lost a student's trust or respect it's hard to win it back.
D. Head
Students will start telling me about things that have happened in another classroom with other teachers. My response is usually, "Why would you do that, you wouldn't do that is here?" They say no because you'd kill us. They are obviously not at level VI. I was told once by an administrator that we can not change students, we must change ourselves. I am glad to see that Rafe does not endorse that line of thinking. I will continue to try to move students to higher levels of moral development. Demonstrating the higher levels seems to be the way to go.
ReplyDeleteArea: promoting positive culture
Totally separate vein of discussion: I loved the whole "Add It Up" Chapter" (imagine that). Marcy Cook tiles may definitely be in my future. Usually my students listening skills are atrocious! "While they listen to the problem, they quietly put away their grammar work and bring out their number tiles" p67. I will definitely be starting something similar to this to help kids practice doing and listening at the same time, something they claim they are unable to do.
Areas: instructional strategies
Muriel Barnett
Level I – I don’t want to get into trouble level.
ReplyDeleteLevel II – Wanting or expecting a prize for completing a task.
Level III - Doing the work just to please the teacher.
Level IV - Rule followers.
Level V - Considerate of others.
Level VI – Self Motivated. (I love having Level VI art students)
I think there must be a Level 0 – Don’t care if they get in trouble and don’t care about the work.
Level 0 kids are hard to reach. I hate to admit it but they are hard to care about sometimes. It is a challenge. I think that I am going to work harder at building good relationship with my students.
D. Head
The six levels are very interesting, as many have pointed out. I find that most of my students are on levels 1-3, and that has worked for me so far. Sometimes I get a class that can work on level 4, and there are always a few students that are on level 5, but I definately think level 6 has eluded many of our students. As a matter of fact, most adults are not on level 6. I am still working on exactly how to teach that. Of course, as Rafe says, it almost can't be taught, but I love how he uses characters in literature as examples. What motivates a character can resonate personally with a student (even if that character is on level 1), and it is a good way to help them move to the next level.
ReplyDeleteSamantha Tedrow
Responding to Mrs. Barnett regarding "higher level of moral development": I find that we, as adults, sometimes fall into that old immaturity level that we had as children. We just returned from the Jostens National Renaissance Conference and had a wonderful speaker, Mark Scharenbroich at one of our sessions. He spoke about how we look at what others have and spend so much time being jealous of what they have that we lose sight of what we should be doing ourselves. He compared it to when he was a child and said one of his classmates had more crayons than he did, even though his crayons were new and he had eight "brilliant colors." He advised us that we should "stop counting crayons and just draw pictures" because it's not what you have but what you do with what you have. We are so blessed at Heritage to have wonderful facilities in which to work and we don't need to worry about what other people in the building have or don't have. We must teach our children these same values because we have all heard them say, "But what about so-and-so" - it has to be about a higher self-motivating force to help them achieve and serve as an example to their peers.
ReplyDeleteMy comment was addressing "Promoting a Positive Culture/Environment." We must promote this positive culture for our students because it's contagious and if we're positive, our students will pick up on that. We must show them we care about them and promote what we value. If we concentrate on say, preserving the wonderful appearance of our building, our students will and have picked up the idea that our building is more important than the reason it was built: as a place to educate and produce good citizens.
ReplyDeleteItems and phrases I noticed/liked within the book. I enjoyed it much more and found it more helpful than the mountain of textbooks I have been poring through for my licensure courses.
ReplyDeleteNo fear in his classroom
Replace fear with trust
Lead by example
Punishment must be fair
Come through on promises
Level 1 don’t get in trouble
Level 2 I want a reward
Level 3 I want to please somebody
Level 4 i follow the rules
Level 5 I am considerate of other people
Level 6 I have a personal code of conduct (atticus finch or Red from Shawshank Redemption)
Reading is for enjoyment
The timeline for his writing classes from 1982 – 2004 is ridiculous and revealing.
Young authors project: write a book over the course of a year.
Collaborative learning : math and social studies:
“start witht he number of states in the USA . add a dozen. Subtract the number of supreme court justices. Add number of weeks in a fortnight. Divide by 11. “
Marcycookmath.com
Test taking skills. Creating multiple choice tests with students so they can see how the wrong answers are created.
Watches movies after school – awesome.
Audio clips of speeches
Best line: page 174 “I don’t want my students to be mediocre.”
After reading Rafe's chapter on social studies "What a Wonderful World" I am reminded of how easy and simple it is to make our content meaningful and interesting to our students. I especially enjoyed seeing his history project that connects the Preamble with license plates. By allowing the students to create their own license plate words, Rafe fostered creativity and critical thinking. This book has given me, a beginning teacher, many proven ideas that will be of great help.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Mr. Head's comment about level 0 students. I agree that I want to make more of an effort to do better reaching this group of kids. I think we can really make a positive impact in the lives of these kids.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading Rafe's piece on "keeping statistic" in chapter nine, it reminds me that there are many opportunities to bring in outside subject matters into your class. By doing this you can enforce concepts learned in other classes which will not only help that student achieve more in your class but others as well . It also helps keep your class interesting and fun for the students which will help create a classroom culture every teacher desires to have.
ReplyDeleteRowland
Okay, I love David's comments about "Level 0." And Patricia has given comment -- we really do need to do more to reach these kids (I wish Rafe's "trust" concept worked with everyone). Now comes the crucial question that we all sometimes like to dance around: How?
ReplyDelete-- Rich Roberts
I was inspired and also nostalgic after reading "The Extra Mile" in chapter 7. Nostalgic because I was reminded of my 8th grade SS teacher (who I secretly called John Wayne for his stature) took us on a daily journey with our study of the War Between the States. He was an amazing storyteller, but I can only imagine how the lessons could have been enriched given the resources we have today. Inspired because of Rafe's suggestions on fusing these resources to "make history come alive" such as period music, documentaries, biography series and speeches.
ReplyDelete--Dinah Maupin
In response to many comments made by others, I also found the section on the six levels of moral development to be very intriguing. My goal is to focus on students as individuals and work hard to promote level six behavior within my classroom.
ReplyDeleteIn the social studies section, Rafe’s “Roam Around the World” activity on pages 86-89 provides new ideas, strategies, and technology resources I can incorporate into my lesson plans.
Leslie Barrow
Every one else has said so many great things that I agree with. I will admit, last year teaching kindergarten, I caught myself not being as patient as I should be. Rafe has inspired me to try harder and make sure that I answer every student no matter how many times I have to explain something.
ReplyDeleteAs for the "level 0" issue, I think we can help students evolve. If we really work at it I believe that they will progress to another level. I also think that if we get parents involved it will help these level 0 students. These students probably will not make it to level 6 in one year, but if they continue being guided to level 6 throughout their middle school and high school career they may eventually develop into a level 6. I feel if we want to achieve this we will have to buy into it as a whole school and continue addressing it yearly.
Sorry I am all over the place, but there are so many good things Rafe says. I also think it is great he realizes that we are all human. Many of his strategies are great, but they do not happen overnight. We must continue practicing and supporting one another. I will strive this year to help my students reach a level where they are internally motivated to continue seeking knowledge!
Augusta Morales
I'm a brand new school counselor, and I don't have much experience in the classroom. But I really like how Rafe starts out the school year. On pages 6 and 7 Rafe explains how he sets up the classroom environment at the beginning of the year; Rafe starts out school by building "Trust" with the students. I would like to try this with the classes I will be teaching. Also, he explains trust really well by using the trust fall analogy. If you do the trust fall with a friend 1000 times and the next time they let you fall, you will never allow them to catch you again. All trust is lost. Building trust with the students is like this. If I the teacher fail the students and do not practice what I preach or walk the walk and talk the talk, then I lose whatever trust I have established with the students. It will take a great deal of time and work to regain that trust.
ReplyDelete-Tim Gillean
In response to many who have discussed the trust issue, Rafe talks about it on page 6 & 7. Our kids are in high school (middle school kids might be a little different). It is not as easy or quick with older kids, and would be even harder with adults. Discussing trust the first day is something I have never done and plan to incorporate. Usually by the 2nd week of school they learn not to lie to me but usually because I have reamed someone for it. Hopefully if we let them know what we expect and do our best all the time to be consistent students will learn they can trust us. Not everyone mind you. Even though he talks very little about it in the book, there are kids he does not reach. Nothing works perfectly every time with everyone. Be consistent, be trustworthy, set an example, be a role-model. "That's the beauty of the job: You can learn from your mistakes. You can get better. In the process you may even stumble upon precious moments that can allow your students to soar higher than they ever thought possible." pg 11
ReplyDeleteMuriel Barnett
In his book he makes several points about test scores he also does a great job about mastery of a subject with the type of games his students play.what I don't like is the way he slams everybody
ReplyDeleteMike Petrone
This post is in response to Mr. Roberts post on how to reach Level 0 kids.
ReplyDeleteThis is not an easy thing to do, many of these students push adults away and act in ways that are not appealing.
I do have some ideas...
1. Make a Connection: Find something they are interested in and use it as a topic for discussion.
2. Develop a relationship: Show that you are interested in them.
3. Make them feel important: Give them responsibilities/jobs in class.
It takes time, effort, and persistence, but you may reach one.
Steve Owens
Thanks, Steve. Just trying to start a good discussion. Thanks for taking up the gauntlet.
ReplyDelete-- Rich Roberts
In response to Steve, those ideas sound like they would be good for students at all levels.
ReplyDeleteD. Head
Motivating Students (Pg 36) - Rafe says that children need to be taken to the library to explore books. He makes the point that children need to be taken to “places where intelligence, enthusiasm, and a joy of reading are standard operating procedure” to “combat the indifference [about reading] that surrounds our children.” Later generations are increasingly detached from hard copies of, among other things, books. It is undoubtedly advantageous for young people to have the world at their fingertips (i.e. computers with internet), but this paradoxically detaches them from the real world. The library can put students in a social situation that goes beyond lunch-time and Facebook. A situation in which the goals are to find a good book, then a quiet spot, and read. A large part of the intrigue of reading is the relationship between the reader and the book. Furthermore, the process of searching for the right book for any given situation (e.g. research paper, pleasure) will best occur in an environment with minimal distractions. A library can afford kids the opportunity to compare books my picking them up and skimming them for pertinent and interesting information. This allows them to choose THE RIGHT BOOK. Nooks and Kindles are certainly remarkable tools to attract increasingly technology-reliant generations to reading, but being lost is a little bit of romance that comes from holding the work. Teachers need to take their students to their school library and parents need to take their children to public libraries before these institutions fall victim to technology the way newspapers, music stores, and video stores have.
ReplyDeleteClassroom Management: In chapter one Rafe discusses classroom management and how teachers run their classroom based on fear. He writes,"The teacher is afraid: afraid of looking bad, of not being liked, of not being listened to, of losing control. The students are even more afraid: afraid of being scolded and humiliated, of looking foolish in front of their peers, of getting bad grades, of facing their parents' wrath." What are your opinions on this? Can we run an effective classroom without fear? I agree with him that kids need a safe haven and a shelter from the storm, but can we accomplish what we need to with a complete absence of fear?
ReplyDeleteCarrie Cayce
Commenting on the level zero student mentioned by several others, I have found that students will always live up to the expectations that they know I have for them. Though it is often difficult to have and maintain high expectations for those students that seem not to care, I have seen many students respond in my classroom in ways that they won't in others because they know that I truly expect them to behave appropriately, learn the material, and work hard. At times I have to manufacture the expectation (and the energy to convey it) at first, but I have found that the more I assert it, the more I believe it - and my students usually respond accordingly.
ReplyDeleteBreanne Oldham
The part of the book that has most challenged me to change my teaching methods is the test-taking skills section on pages 80-82. I have always had my students correct their tests, but I would never have thought to have them construct their own multiple choice test to point out misconceptions. With the ACT constantly looming in the minds of my juniors and seniors, this is a great way to prepare them for both it and the EOC course that many of my students will be facing. I look forward to seeing how it plays out in my classroom.
ReplyDeleteBreanne Oldham
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Muriel's post that we cannot change our students unless we first change ourselves. As a teacher it is easy to use level 1 and 2. We were all raised with fear and reward. As teacher's do we always follow the rules because they are right? Are we always considerate of other people? I know I would like to think I have a personal code of behavior but I stray from it at times. Are we good role models for our students?
ReplyDeletep. 32 I like his comment that he has never seen district reading objectives in which the words joy, passion, or excitement top the list. I don't believe any of us have ever seen those objectives in any discipline.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with Patricia and Martin in Test taking skills/study skills. How to study/creating the conditions of the test, and understanding multiple choice answers ( why the wrong answers are there).
ReplyDeletep. 73 " The testing obsession that has swept our nation's schools is detrimental to helping children reach their potential as students and human beings" AMEN!
I agree with Breanne's comment about challenging students. I think this is one way we can begin to move students from one level to another (even students in level zero). On page 95 Rafe says that his students are not geniuses, they are ordinary and they become extraordinary by "working hard and by being exposed to activities that go beyond the norm." We have to constantly raise the bar higher as we expect more and more from our students. He also said he sees himself as an ordinary teacher. While I certainly do not see anything ordinary about him or his students, it does help me believe I can accompish at least part of what he has been able to do.
ReplyDeleteAnother area where he challenges his students deals with attitudes. On page 131 he says one of his primary goals is to teach his students to be kind in a world that is anything but kind. I think helping our students develop a more positive attitude will help them in many different areas of their life.
Patsi Gregory
Carrie – Fear : In college we all took courses rampant with idealistic messages about how fear is the enemy in any classroom environment. Conversely, when I began student teaching and started meeting current teachers, not tenured professors who have been removed from the classroom for a decade or more, I noticed a recurring theme in their advice: be mean! Also, I was encouraged to implement preemptive admonition by wearing dark colors, not smiling for a month, and making an example of the first offender. I agree with Rafe in his belief that fear should not be the primary motivator for student achievement, but do think that students need to know the teacher has full authority and therefore the potential to “be mean.”
ReplyDeleteI love that he has his students performing a full-length Shakespeare play every year. That is not an easy feat. Our drama club wanted to work on one this past year, and now I'm motivated to re-visit that idea for this year. Also, there is also a documentary out there about the Hobart Shakespeareans I'd love to see.
ReplyDeleteIn reply to some of the comments about Level 0 students, I'd like to point out that even the author admits that he doesn't reach all the students. He states that only the most responsible go on his trips and only those willing to put in the effort outside of school hours perform in the play. They don't all make it.
I love his six level philosophy and level six is something that all teachers need to strive for. The fact that he admits that not all students make it to where he wants them just adds to his credibility.
What I didn't like about the book is Appendix D. After reading a great book about a great teacher, it was a bit deflating to realize that as a wife and mother, I'm not going to be able to put in the time he does to get the results he's getting.
Daphne Whitsett
I have always been a firm believer that you should allow students time in class to begin their homework.Even as a teacher, my own kids bring homework home and I have to actually read their book or their notes to just help them on it. Many parents do not take the time to do this. Therefore, we have many students who are punished for not having their homework when they come to class the next day. On page 49 in our book, Rafe allows his students approximately 20 minutes to begin working on their homework. This is important to me because it allows us as teachers to see how the students are doing. We can then take that opportunity to work one on one with those who are struggling. The students who are grasping the concept well can be working quietly on their work and if they get it all completed then they will not have homework that night. For those students who just want to take their sweet time and mess around then they are hurting themselves because they will be taking it home. The majority of the students will begin to understand the concept and use their time wisely to work on their homework during the time that was allowed. I have seen so many students come to class with their homework either not completed or not done thoroughly. There are many reasons for this but its my guess that they rushed through it, didn't have the support at home to complete it, or they just did not understand how to do it. Therefore, I believe allowing students some time in class to work on it is essential!
ReplyDeleteShevawn Hendley
Mr. Roberts- I completely agree with you. We do need to do more to reach our students. Many of these kids do not have even have one adult they can turn to. They need adults that they can trust. They need to be able to feel comfortable and safe when they come into our classrooms. By making that connection with our students, we can help our students become well respected young adults.
ReplyDeleteShevawn Hendley
Rafe talked about trust at the very beginning of the book. I found that as a first year teacher that trust was hard to get from my students. However, when they realized that I did what I said I would do, the trust started to build. Rafe also talked about several math strategies that I plan to use. One is using the individual white boards to check for understanding. This is an assessment that gives automatic feedback for every student.
ReplyDeleteShauna Barber
Mrs. Hendley- I definitely think that allowing students time in class to begin homework is essential. It also allows for peer tutoring which is sometimes more effective than one-on-one time or small group time with a teacher. For those students that have extra-curricular activities, this time is invaluable.
ReplyDeleteShauna Barber
Carrie, Brandon -- I feel that we can tie the trust/respect issue along with the issue of needing to use fear in the classroom together. I feel that once we gain their respect and trust, our classroom environment will be at the level where fear is no longer needed.
ReplyDeleteDaphne- I agree more now than ever about Appendix D. It is very disheartening to see that he spends 12 hours daily at school to get the results he is getting. With a family of my own, I don't think 12 hours will be possible. So how do we get these results without the resources (time, money, rewards, etc) that Rafe has for his 5th grade class?
ReplyDeleteDiana Buck
In response to Daphne and Diana: I was thinking the exact same thing while reading this book. I would like to speak with his wife and children just to see what their thoughts and feelings are about Rafe being away so much. I remember that he mentioned a step daughter, but I don't remember other children being mentioned. I want the very best for my students and I want to be there as much as I can and do whatever I can to help them and teach them. I also want to do those things for my son too. It would have been helpful to read a chapter on how he was able to do both effectively. Carrie Cayce
ReplyDeleteI began the book with excitement because Rafe was saying all of the things that I've been afraid to all these years. I do believe that there is a lot more to education than just test scores. If your kids score well but hate reading, you failed. If your kids scored well but think robbing a store for something they want is ok, then you failed. His "six levels" seem brilliant when reading it, but most of us strive for level six every day. However, they are not measured by a test so no one can see all the "data". In turn, teaching kids to be successful (not rich) adults is not important to most politicians, parents, and even administrators. I was on fire and right there with him until the tone of the book began to change. While he throws in off handed comments about his "nontalents", he truly doesn't believe it. I feel that his lack of humility permeates throughout the book. It put me off a little. Most teachers DO care about their students. Why would you become a teacher if you did not want to see kids succeed? The pay is low for a professional, the stress can be incredible, and the opportunities for advancement are fairly nonexistent. A teacher must love the challenge of helping kids find success. Finally, Rafe makes it very clear that "you must be the person you want your kids to be." It is a profound thought. However, Rafe spends very little time with his own family. He even says he spends time at school when he could be spending quality time(tennis with his wife) with his family. That is NOT the person I want to be, and it is not the kind of person I want my students to be. Family time is the most important thing in the world. If everyone else's children love you, but your own don't, then you have failed. I still have a little more to read. Chris Logsdon
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI must say that Rafe is the most dedicated teacher I have ever heard of. He calls his classroom home, has thanksgiving dinner for his students, take students on planes to go on trips, and stays after school all the time!!! That is what I call pure dedication!
ReplyDeleteI feel that his students feed off his dedication because even some of the students would arrive early to school and wanted to stay after school. I just remember when I use to be in school and if I didn't have ball practice of some sort, I was so ready to get out and go home. No teacher of mine, especially in middle school even tried to build relationships with their students and Rafe seems to have relationships with ALL of his students and that is absolutely incredible.
I loved his method on homework and how his assignments are not due the next day, but due at the end of the week or even the end of the month. I feel that might help students with time management and relieve pressure of getting all their homework done the next day when they might have homework in every subject. Although, some will procrastinate and still wait the last second to do their homework.
Rafe also seems to be repetitive in his subjects and to be good at something, you have to constantly practice at it. When he does his geography lesson, after they have actually learned the countries and how to spell them correctly, he is constantly playing games such as Table Points (pg.87) I feel this helps students retain information better by being repetitive and constantly going back, instead of just memorizing something for just a week and moving on.
With the science, his stepdaughter gave him wonderful advice. I always learned science just by reading and answering the questions at the end of the chapter in school. When I took my physics class in college, the students actually did all the experimenting and figuring out why without reading, but actually doing it ourselves without the teacher telling us every little thing. I learned so much in that class, because I did everything myself, so I agree with Rafe’s stepdaughter on pg.97. "...kids had to put down their books and pick up their equipment. They had to observe, experiment, record, and analyze. Above all, they had to fail and learn from their failures." Rafe also made the comment, "I did the best teaching during those two months when I decided to shut up and leave the kids alone." (pg.103) No doubt, students need guidance, but science should be hands on and hopefully I can fulfill that in my science class.
-Caroline Fitzgerald
I want to thank Mr. Owens for his ideas about how to reach students... As I read this book, I wondered how does Rafe build this trust? I know he told us what he does, but there's still so much to know (at least for me as a beginning teacher). Mr. Owens' suggestions plus Rafe's advice will help I think!
ReplyDelete"1. Make a Connection: Find something they are interested in and use it as a topic for discussion.
2. Develop a relationship: Show that you are interested in them.
3. Make them feel important: Give them responsibilities/jobs in class.
It takes time, effort, and persistence, but you may reach one."
I have been on an agricultural tour of the Midwest for the past week. Many of the agricultural stops began with a brief history of the place leading up to the present and why the company/venture is important to agriculture today. Even though I feel like I am knowledgeable of agriculture history, I was surprised to learn many things during these visits. Chapter seven begins with a description of the lack of knowledge of history on most students' part. I find that this lack of knowledge is true when it comes to the history and importance of agriculture. This trip refreshed my memory on some things and enlightened me on other sunjects. In Chapter seven, the author details many projects he uses to highlight historical events. Almost every agricultural class includes a standard that highlights the importance of and history of agriculture in the United States. I plan to use the pictures, brochures, and historical documentation to prepare a lesson to meet this standard. I hope the students will remember the pictures and examples that I am able to provide through first hand experiences this summer.
ReplyDeleteMichelle Page
Kim,
ReplyDeleteYour comment on page 32 caught my attention. I taught a class called Career Management Success. One of the things that I was supposed to accomplish in this class was to "teach reading for pleasure" to my students. The suggested way to do this - Assign them a book report on a book of their choosing. To me this defeated the purpose. Teaching a student to do something for pleasure cannot be accomplished by force. When giving speeches or discussing current events in class, I try to allow the students as much freedom as possible to choose topics that they enjoy while still relating to the class subject. Although this does not always bring joy, excitement, or passion from every student, I am often surprised by the ones that do exhibit these feelings all because they have found something to talk about that they like.
Michelle Page
Rafe uses alot of manipulatives. He is just as engaged in the lesson/activities as the children. As a teacher, you have to be in the class participating with the activities with the students. This lets you as a teacher see through the eyes of the student and this can help you with learning strategies. It also lets the students see how excited you are about the lesson. Like Rafe says...its ok to be a Lab Rat!
ReplyDeleteJill Hobdy
Shauna,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed learing about the different math strategies. I like the activity Rafe uses when he getting students ready for assessments. He gives them a question and has them come up the the 4 choices. Of course one is the right one, but he lets the students come up with different answer that a student might choose and why. This strategy not only teaches students to carefully read through all answer choices but it also lets them use different skills in coming up with the answers.
In re-reading through portions of the book, I was struck by Rafe's comment on page 68 that "there are so many numbers we want our kids to know". I'm making a list of numbers to incorporate into my class routine. I'd like to have significant numbers that represent a variety of disciplines and subjects. I'd appreciate any input you can give me.
ReplyDeleteFor example:
435 = number of seats in the House of Representatives
5,280 = number of feet in a mile
95 = number of counties in Tennessee
Ideas for more? I need about 90 for the activity I'm working on. Thanks!
Breanne Oldham
Like Muriel, I also like the number tiles idea (67). Instead of tiles, my class uses Uno cards (a good way old decks that you no longer play with). This year, I'll be putting mine in student packets so everyone has his own to use when needed.
ReplyDelete-- Cynthia Roberts
Jill- You make a great point by saying that Rafe is just as involved in the manipulatives as the students are. The days of telling the kids what you know and expecting them to then know it are gone. The kids need to see the teacher learning too. Try giving the kids some problem solving questions without knowing the answers yourself. It's frightening at first, but you get a good idea of what each student is going through. Also, the students don't see you as someone who knows everything.
ReplyDeleteI found one of his last sections to be the most interesting.On page 225, the author says,"For every child who is ready and willing to make the effort, far more have given up because of the same forces that make us want to surrender." As teachers, it is so much easier to see our "failures". It's easy to see the students we didn't change or affect as much as was needed. They seem to put their behaviors on stage. The ones we should focus on are the ones who don't need the stage. I'm not saying we should point them out, but privately in our minds, we should be picturing them when we wonder if we affected anyone during the day.
oops! Last one was by Logsdon
ReplyDeleteMichelle
ReplyDeleteI think allowing the students to choose a topic they're interested is great. It makes school more fun and interesting. It motivates them to want to learn and read because it's something they enjoy. It also helps them take ownership in their work.
-Tim Gillean
In response to Muriel's post:
ReplyDeleteI loved the whole "Add It Up" Chapter" (imagine that). Marcy Cook tiles may definitely be in my future. Usually my students listening skills are atrocious! I will definitely be starting something similar to this to help kids practice doing and listening at the same time, something they claim they are unable to do.
I totally agree with her that most middle schoolers have issue with multitasking. We also complain that students don't know their basic math facts. I think using the tiles 10-15 min. a couple of times a week will improve their mental math, which helps with high math skills and problem solving.
--Crystal Wix
Areas: instructional strategies
One thing I already do some, but plan on doing more of, is Rafe's "Test Taking Skills" p. 80-83. Students need to realize the "incorrect" answers in a multiple choice test aren't there by accident, but by design of common student mistakes. I also like his idea of not just giving an answer, but having students explain why it is the correct answer and why other choices are NOT the answer. Especially since we've been told open-response assessments are coming (where students are judged by their reasoning/problem solving); this will give our students confidence to succeed at these assessments to demonstrate their understanding.
ReplyDelete--Crystal Wix
Areas: Checks for understanding; Challenging Students
I believe that Rafe is successful at his job because he is passionate about the
ReplyDeletework he does. He works 24-7 for his students. He is also successful because of
the relationships that he builds with his students. He works to find the one
thing that will allow that relationship to grow. He is totally into the work
that he does because he is there for the students and not so much the paycheck.
Once you have built the relationship with your students, then teaching them
comes easy. He has figured this out and has used it to his advantage.
Pat Owsley
I really enjoyed reading this book. It has such great ideas and really got me thinking about the kind of atmosphere I want in my classroom. One thing about the book that I thought of was the fact that I want to change the title to "DON"T Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire." My reasoning behind this is when Rafe's hair caught on fire, although his intentions were good, he was focused on one thing in the classroom. What I got out of the book is that we need to focus on the big picture. Don't be so focused on your subject matter or tests to really acknowledge the learning that might extend to five other subjects. We need to look at the students themselves as well as the curriculum.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I loved the idea of making the classroom a home. Making the class a place where the students want to go and feel safe there to be excited about learning. This is a goal that I have. I know now(from reading this book) that this goal is an ongoing process that will take me years to accomplish. That positive classroom is worth it though.
In response to Crystal Wix's (and a few others previously) I also loved the idea of having the students look at all the answer choices, not just the correct one. It gets the students to actually THINK. It also makes them aware of common mistakes that can arise and helps them to avoid them in the future. I think to have the students comment on the wrong answers will take some time. The students who might share how the wrong answer was achieved probably got the problem wrong first and may be embarrassed to say anything. This is where the positive classroom comes in handy also. Make sure the students feel like they can share their opinions without feeling bad.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was interesting that in the music chapter he talks about teaching his instrumental players to actually learn to read and play music correctly but he just gives a cd to his singers and has them learn it rote. As thorough as he is in everything else, it is surprising that he takes such a shortcut in that area.
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of the points table on pg 87 & 88. this is a great idea to use for reviewing for tests. this gets the students working collaborativly and pulling for each other.
ReplyDeleteKirk Swearingen
Best Quote I have read in a long time "And yet we have created a different world in room 56. Its a world where character matters, hard work is respected, humility is valued, and support for one another is unconditional."
ReplyDeleteAnother Good One "There are so many charlatans in the world of education. They teach for a couple of years, come up with a few clever slogans, build their websites, and hit the lecture circuit." AMEN!!!!
Rafe describes that we should replace fear with trust.
I have a personal code of conduct of Behavior and I follow it (the Atticus Finch Level) is powerful when he describes the young girl who helped the child who got beaten on the way home by a bully.
Coach Daniel would like to know if his students can perform with electric guitars and drums during the class time? Would that be considered "Bell to Bell"?
Coach Daniel would also like to know if his class can take a 3 day trip to Washington D.C.?
One thing I did notice is that A LOT of his class seemed to be Asian descent. In my opinion, this would give an unfair advantage to Rafe when it comes to classroom management. I am not trying to diminish his achievements, but the Asian culture usually demands respect for elders and authority. He does not have to face the same challenges as a traditional inner city school.
Trey
A bit disjointed, but here goes...
ReplyDeleteInitial thoughts:
--Many of the Amazon reviewers were right on target. Rafe is a highly motivated, structured teacher who knows what works for him and his clientele. He has touched the lives of many young people and inspired them to become citizens of the world, critical thinkers, with a thirst for knowledge. What more can we ask of a teacher? His version of the six levels of motivation is excellent and thought provoking and to have a student act at level six is the ultimate goal, of course. His methodologies are sound and some are worth considering in other classrooms, particularly in elementary school.
Amen to his ideas on standardized testing. Politicians want results, I understand. Standardized tests are the easy way out. They reduce a kid’s performance/knowledge to a number. Scan the numbers, retain or fire the teacher. Simple. Who cares if he gave a rat’s hiney about his students and they learned something other than what was being tested? From Harry Potter 5, “It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which after all, is what school is all about.” – Dolores Umbridge
Really, learning should be an individual journey. It’s ok if Johnny wants to talk about ethanol. Is it ethical to produce ethanol? He won’t see it on the standardized science exam, but it is a worthy, controversial topic, for sure. Here’s an idea: have professional evaluators (and/or parents) interview the class before it lets out, individually and collectively. Ask them, what have you learned? What books did you read? What characters did you most admire? How have you used the scientific method in your everyday life? What behaviors have you modified?, How could YOU improve your classroom experience?, etc. Make it like a job interview. By using and teaching to standardized tests, we’re creating cookie-cutter kids.
Shawshank Redemption in fifth grade? Witness? Really? Not in most school districts in America. This guy would be sent packing, nevermind how inspirational he is. Obviously, he has been given room to operate. He takes risks. He advises his students to take risks. Probably one of the best ways to truly teach and learn, but it can be a dangerous game. He says his kids know words to plays and songs and what they mean. I’d be interested to hear the 5th grade interpretation of Start Me Up.
A really powerful idea is that you can teach students that by committing a certain action or adopting a certain behavior, they are achieving ALL LEVELS at once, or at least more than one. For instance, picking up a piece of trash: In a small way you are rewarding yourself (you are getting aerobic exercise), you are making others happy (man, this place looks great!), and you may be acting on your code of ethics (I will have a beautiful community where pride resides).
A. Larson
Thoughts after a day or two of contemplation:
ReplyDeleteI don’t think there’s one way to skin this cat. This idea that there is ONE WAY to do things is not fair to students. It’s ok for teachers to have different styles. Some are ultra-organized, some have much gravitas and can get away with less organization. Some rule with an iron fist (I’m looking at you, Muriel), but I think the kids need it. Who’s to say which is best? Kids should to see all of these personalities. Heaven knows they will see the gamut in their working lives. I heard a senior say at graduation, “Mr. Roberts’s class was hell. I can’t believe I survived.” But there was pride in his voice. He was a stronger, better human being for it, and he knew it.
Another way to think of the six levels is to view them as a I WANT IT NOW!, short-term, long-term continuum. Ultimately, we are trying to instill in our students a long term view--one that governs their everyday decisions and leaves the world a better place.
He deserves high praise simply for teaching his kids fiscal responsibility. I love that the currency actually takes on value, and students learn to use it wisely. It is one of the greatest gifts we can give kids, especially in this time of financial uncertainty. I heard one economist describe our current financial situation thusly: It’s like sitting down to a fine meal with your children and grandchildren, ordering all courses and then, just before the check arrives, you get up and leave. No wonder this generation is restless. Some of them have figured out that we’re saddling them with a massive bill—one they probably will never be able to pay. It’s like, “fund wars, not education.”
If he wants to make a truly significant change, I’d say go to Wall Street and Washington and teach them about level six. Maybe then they’d realize that our greatest resource is sitting in the classroom, in desperate need of a book, a computer, space to breath, or even a meal.
Rafe definitely has passion for this job. How do I cultivate (or is it innate?) that kind of passion? That’s what I really want to know. What motivates him? Maybe I missed the whole point. Is it really a code of ethics that guides him every moment?
A. Larson
Parting shots:
ReplyDelete-I DON’T want this guy evaluating me, especially if my tenure is dependent on his opinion. Does he sleep? Maybe he should reintroduce himself to his own family. I agree with David—if he knew the teachers at Heritage, he would rethink his low opinion of members of his profession… I also agree with Coach Petrone. Must he slam others to make himself look good? What happened to walking in someone else’s shoes?
He spends too much time at school and not enough time with his family. Does his wife really appreciate his absence? My wife would divorce me. Like others have stated, I’m a parent to my own children FIRST and a teacher second. That will never change. Even so, most of us know how poignant it is to have a former student say you were more of a dad or mom to him/her than a biological parent was. He basically “adopts” his students, which is admirable, but don’t be fooled, there are personal costs.
--Other Amazon reviewers were right. He and his publisher appear to be shooting for inner-city cred, but when you realize his students are motivated immigrants (or children of immigrants) who still believe in the system with not a crack/meth baby seemingly in the mix, his soapbox aura doesn’t wash so well. Many students who are products of generational poverty are past despondent, they feel completely hopeless. Those are the kids that are truly tough to reach. Tough to get them to believe… Everything in context… did he write the book to inspire his readers, or was he looking for a reward? Maybe he was motivated by MANY factors. Did he donate the proceeds to charity?
In all, a worthy read. Rafe certainly makes you realize how much potential a teacher has to change the lives of students. He makes me want to do better, to achieve more. He also makes it clear why teachers keep teaching. They are motivated by a code of ethics: the way to make the world a better place is to teach our young people how to become critical thinkers, problem solvers, good stewards, and to see a task to completion. Too many of our students fold when the path gets tough. I love the Calvin Coolidge statement, “Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
So, despite low pay, the current emasculation of teachers, absent parents, etc. we must press on. We are not motivated by money, as most other professionals are. We want the world to be a better place for our progeny.
Time for a bake sale.
A. Larson
I really believe the reading of the book, the blog and the meeting with the faculty made from some really good in-service time.
ReplyDeleteAs I continue to reflect on the book and the time I have spent in other in-service this summer I continue to go back to Chapter 12, where Rafe spends sometime talking about helping our students learn to think and to make better decisions. I really believe that what he said about making sure that we have taught them to value thinking and decision making is very important. We must prepare them for the world outside of our walls both now and later. Employers often struggle with our youth and their ability to think for themselves and make decisions on their own. I have decided to really make this an important part of my instructions
for the coming year. If we don't value this as teachers and administrators we teach them that thinking and decision making on their own is of no importance.
Myra Dew